Auld Lang Syne


I used to spend weeks agonising about New Year’s Eve plans. This was of course back in the day...much, much younger days. Perhaps it was because I wasn’t particularly happening all year round that’s why I needed to be found doing something happening on the most happening party night of the year!

Clubbing and private parties gradually morphed into BBQ pool parties and then sit-down dinner parties. Much like the slow appearance of wrinkles and southward pull of everything else, this is a sure sign of the ageing process.

Eventually nobody wanted to be cleaning at 2am on the first day of a New Year so it was fuss-free, low-frills tapau meals (even McDonald’s and pizza some years, tsk tsk) and just friends chilling out together – for want of being able to say, “Yeah, I did something on New Year’s Eve.”

But as of 2009, all New Year’s Eve plans had to be canned because just how fun is it to lug a cranky, sleepy baby and a baby bag stuffed with all manners of ‘just in case’ stuff to a party? And spend the whole time either patting said baby to sleep, wondering if he had fallen off the guest room bed or worrying the sound will awaken the slumbering monster who will then become even crankier?

So the last two New Year’s Eve passed as uneventfully as every other night. My state of un-happening-ness (and no, there is no such word) has reached its all-time high with no hope of ever making a U-turn.

But wait! I did do something this New Year’s Eve. My husband and I watched Social Network on DVD, stuffed our face with junk food and then fell asleep before the first strains of Auld Lang Syne started.

Wow wee...not. But hey, at least I can say “I did something on New Year’s Eve.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Bluinc 2009