Welcome to sucker-dom!


Parenthood is really spelt s-u-c-k-e-r. Because we want the best for our kids, we are easier targets than a bull’s eye on a hippo’s side.

Do you have a stroller Bugaboo, McLaren or Peg Perego? Did you buy a Baby Bjorn or similar type branded baby carrier instead of a sarong? Were you listening to Mozart during your pregnancy so as to stimulate your child’s development in-vitro and unleash the genius in her?

How many ‘developmental toys’ are in your nursery? Do you own at least one set of flash cards? Are Baby IQ, Baby Einstein, Word’s World or such educational programmes in your DVD drawer? Did you read books on teaching your child how to read or mind map?

I’m not mocking you. I’m just as guilty of most of the above. In E’s first year, I racked up a sizeable credit card bill buying things I thought were essential to his health including an obscenely expensive air-cum-mattress-cum-vacuum cleaner (but I totally love it; no regrets there), an air filter and humidifier.

I could have bought the latest Gucci bag and some with what I spent on these three. But I sacrificially ‘invested’ the money into ensuring E would sleep comfortably in a room with clean air, was sufficiently cooled by the air conditioner but not too drying thanks to the humidifier. Yes, seriously!

At the time, these purchases together with a lot more others all made so much sense! Now, of course, they are my dirty little secrets.

I’d like to think I’m a smarter cookie now; that they won’t be able to get to me so easily because I know their tricks.

But, erm, I’m holding onto an art and craft set that’s supposed to help stimulate E’s creativity and imagination, and improve his motor skills – which he absolutely needs if he’s to invent the next Facebook, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Bluinc 2009