Mr. Right Now will do too


Sara called last night to tell me that things are off with what’s-his-face. Technically, they were not dating so it isn’t a break up per se. But functionally, it might as well have been a six-month relationship – the dates, the fights and make ups, the long conversations late into the night. But what’s-his-face claimed he only thought of her “as a very good friend.” Whatever.

There are definitely more misses than hits when you date in your 30s. The men are either commitment-phobic or bogged down with issues and baggage (that you don’t want to deal with). Or there’s just no chemistry even though he is an absolute sweetheart. Or there are sparks aplenty...but he only wants to be your ‘sister’ not your soul mate. (Ok, sometimes it’s the women’s fault too.)

Are all the good ones really taken? I am sometimes tempted to think so. But then a wedding invitation will come from someone who had found love later in life – and in a most unexpected, romantic way that it makes you want to believe in love again. So maybe there is hope yet, Sara.

I peep over at my slumbering husband. The shining armour has long been traded in for the most unsightly T-shirts. Instead of taking me out for dates, he offers to check in on our son at 3am so I don’t have to. The flowers and gifts? They stopped even before we got married. But I’m still glad we had the last 10 years together. And that we didn’t have to sift through the complexities of dating in our 30s to find each other.

Now, excuse me while I go wipe the drool before it stains the pillow cases, again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Bluinc 2009