That’s just not very me



I’m sporting sparkling blue toenails at the moment. I’m really more of the conventional red, pink or brown type of girl. But my sister, B, pooh-poohed at them. And against my better judgement, I listened.

You see for the longest time, I took my style cues from B and I guess old habits are hard to shake. She basically coordinated my wardrobe from the time I was 15 to my early working days. I had experimented on my own, of course, but whatever she chose always looked better and garnered more praise. So why rock the boat right?

Then one day we were standing in a changing room, staring at the mirror and I suddenly realised, B’s fashion direction just wasn’t working out. B is a Carrie meets Samantha. I’m a cross-between Miranda and Charlotte. It was never meant to have a happy ending.

I left my guru on her hill and for better or worse, fumbled about until I found my own style. Sometimes I feel I’m still fumbling but at least I’m discovering my own voice. Besides, B got married and moved away. I couldn’t possibly ring her at 7am in the morning to discuss wardrobe options (she would be busy picking out her husband’s tie and shirt combo anyway).

I suppose I could remove the blue polish but then again, they are a reminder that while it’s ok to ask for opinions, one should always know what works – and doesn’t – for one’s self. Besides, it’s kind of cute.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Bluinc 2009